We foster and enrich the cultural and economic health for the Greater Fremont County Region through partnerships, presentations, education, and preservation of the Arts for present and future generations.
About Fremont Center for the Arts:
Fremont Center for the Arts was founded in 1947 and has the distinction of being the oldest privately run art center West of the Mississippi River, and our building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Our building was built in 1931 for the U.S. Post Office. In 1989, the Board of Fremont County Commissioners purchased the grand old building and arranged for the Fremont Center for the Arts to lease it with an option to purchase. In January 1992, the FCA moved from their small original building just south of Royal Gorge Boulevard and into their present location, and completed payment on the price set by the county. The deed was recorded on August 8, 2000.
The main gallery features rotating exhibits, and a designated Permanent Collection Gallery displays part of the permanent collection, which is rotated throughout the year. Other multipurpose spaces on the lower level are used for classrooms, exhibits, performances, and workshop space. The Wendell H. Black Memorial Arts Library houses a collection of of over 300 books dealing with art history, the lives and works of artists, as well as books on art techniques.
The building is handicap accessible and has a patio on the west side with lovely trees and a Sculpture Garden on the east side. Located in “Historic Downtown Cañon City,” FCA is across the street from the Cañon City Library, and within walking distance of the Cañon City History Museum, and the Prison Museum.