History of Temple Canyon Park
With so much mining activity in the Wet Mountain Valley in the 1870s, there was a desire to directly connect Canon City to the Rosita and Silver Cliff communities. The only logical route was along Grape Creek, which had been described as a “boisterous and treacherous” stream, one that had washed out wagon roads and later a railroad which ran from 1881-1885. Grape Creek traverses wilderness on its path from Canon City to the Wet Mountain Valley, and the only road to cross it along this path is Temple Canyon Road.
During construction of Temple Canyon Road, workers noticed a natural amphitheater in the canyon. This amphitheater would come to be known as a temple and the area would become Temple Canyon. The canyon was a popular destination in the 1890s with residents traveling up Grape Creek by foot.
An act of Congress granted Temple Canyon to the City of Canon City in 1912. The road, park, trails, lookout points, and recreational areas are the result of work conducted during the Great Depression by workers under the Works Progress Administration in the late 1930s.