The main industry in Pueblo for most of its history was steel. In fact, the mills that ran here were so large, they drew enough immigrant workers for Pueblo to become the most ethnically and culturally diverse city in Colorado and the West. At one point, more than 40 languages were spoken in the steel mills and more than two-dozen foreign language newspapers were published in the city.
This legacy lives on as Pueblo still has ethnically rooted neighborhoods, lending to the cities overall cosmopolitan feel.
A day trip to Pueblo can be so many different things, depending on your interests. Dive deep into art, ride a bike, or tour historical buildings. Any of the following activities are sure to make your trip to Pueblo a memorable one.
- Pueblo boasts a three-district Creative Corridor of art galleries, public art displays, and events, making it a destination for the vibrant art movement in Southeastern Colorado.
- Thanks to a community-wide initiative called Historic Pueblo, the city has five neighborhoods filled with structures identified as historically protected landmarks.
- Located on the Arkansas River, Pueblo’s Historic Riverwalk plays host to a seasonal farmer’s market, Steel City Brew Fest, Movies on the River and more throughout the year.
- Pueblo is home to many exciting attractions for all ages. Enjoy a fine arts performance at Sangre de Cristo Arts Center, catch a train ride with The Rides at City Park or even explore the City’s historical past at the Steelworks Museum.
- Biking is accessible to everyone thanks to the pedestrian and bike paths on the Pueblo River Trail System
- The Colorado State Fair and Rodeo take place in Pueblo at the end of each summer. So much of what there is to love about the state converges onto the famous fairgrounds in Pueblo for an end-of-summer week full of live entertainment, thrilling competitions, quirky vendor booths and good ol’ Western fun.
- Pueblo has some fascinating museums, including the El Pueblo History Museum, Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum, Bell Children’s Museum, Rosemount Museum, and more.